Skip to content

Pentagon Cancels Poland Deployment as Congress Demands Answers

Dispatch

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth canceled the planned nine-month rotation of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division to Poland this week, halting the overseas movement of more than 4,000 soldiers and their equipment after the unit had already begun deploying. Two officials told the Associated Press the decision followed a memo signed by Hegseth directing the Joint Chiefs of Staff to move a brigade combat team out of Europe. According to Gen. Christopher LaNeve, the acting Army chief of staff, the halt order originated with Hegseth. The unit had held a color casing ceremony at Fort Hood, Texas, on May 1 in advance of the deployment. Portions of the brigade's advance echelon were already in Poland and equipment was in transit when the cancellation was issued. The decision drew no formal public announcement from the Pentagon or the White House. [POLITICO]

Hegseth's memo also canceled a planned future deployment to Germany of a battalion that specializes in long-range rocket and missile fires, and directed that a command in Europe overseeing those capabilities be removed from the continent. The Poland cancellation came two weeks after the Pentagon announced the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany, and also rescinded a Biden-era plan to station a missile-equipped artillery unit in Europe. The troop reductions from Germany, announced earlier this month, would return U.S. forces in Europe to levels last seen in early 2022, before Russia's invasion of Ukraine prompted a buildup under the Biden administration. In October, the Pentagon had already ended a 101st Airborne Division brigade rotational mission in Romania, part of the same 2022 buildup. The Fort Hood-based "Black Jack" brigade was deploying in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve, the mission established to reinforce NATO's eastern flank. [POLITICO][1]

The cancellation raised immediate statutory concerns on Capitol Hill. Bipartisan majorities last year backed a provision in the Fiscal Year 2026 National Defense Authorization Act barring U.S. troop levels in Europe from falling below 76,000; President Trump signed that measure into law in December. The provision prohibits a reduction below that threshold without first providing Congress a certification of consultation with NATO allies and independent assessments of the impacts on U.S. national security, alliance readiness, and deterrence against Russia. The 2026 funding bill further specifies that U.S. troop levels in Europe cannot fall below 76,000 for more than 45 days without such notifications and certifications to Congress. With approximately 85,000 U.S. troops currently on the continent, the current drawdown does not yet appear to breach that statutory floor, but lawmakers argued that the required prior consultation had not occurred regardless.

The House Armed Services Committee made that argument explicitly during a budget hearing on May 15. LaNeve and Army Secretary Dan Driscoll testified on the Army's budget and found themselves repeatedly questioned on the canceled deployment. Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Ala., told the witnesses the committee was "not happy," specifically citing the absence of statutory consultation with Congress. Rogers warned the committee would impose consequences if the Pentagon attempted to push below the 76,000-troop statutory floor. Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., called the decision "reprehensible" and said it was "an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland." LaNeve acknowledged that the decision was made "in the last two weeks" by the Defense Department in coordination with Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, commander of U.S. European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe. A brigade member estimated in a text message reviewed by Army Times that costs for equipment retrieval alone would reach $4 million.

The testimony exposed a direct conflict between the Army's account and the Pentagon's public posture. Acting Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez had stated that the decision followed "a comprehensive, multilayered process" and was "not an unexpected, last-minute decision." LaNeve's testimony that the decision was recent appeared to contradict that statement, prompting Rep. Austin Scott, R-Ga., to say, "I don't see how that statement can be true." Congressional sources also noted that the Army had already dispatched an advance team and begun shipping equipment before Hegseth's order came down. [POLITICO][2]

The cancellation generated confusion in Warsaw as well as Washington. Polish Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz sought to publicly reassure his government that the U.S.-Poland alliance remained "durable and lasting." Kosiniak-Kamysz attributed the halt to the U.S. decision to reduce troop levels in Germany, saying the issue "does not concern Poland" and relates to "the previously announced change in the presence of some U.S. Armed Forces in Europe." President Trump has previously labeled Poland a "model ally" for its defense spending levels. Poland's defense spending is projected to reach 4.7% of GDP this year, the highest figure among NATO allies. The Poland decision was nonetheless seen as a greater surprise given Trump's recent praise for the country.

The operational and alliance-level implications extend beyond Poland. The brigade's mission was in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve, the continuing effort to bolster NATO forces in central and eastern Europe. A senior NATO military official stated that rotational forces "do not factor into NATO's deterrence and defense plans," a characterization the alliance appeared to offer partly to limit political fallout from Warsaw to Tallinn. Reuters previously reported an internal Pentagon email outlining options to penalize NATO allies Washington considers insufficiently supportive of U.S. operations in its conflict with Iran, including suspending Spain from NATO and revisiting the U.S. position on the Falkland Islands. The Poland deployment cancellation, absent any stated rationale from senior officials, fits a pattern of rapid, uncoordinated posture shifts that are generating friction with treaty allies and with Congress in equal measure.

Featured image: Photo by Daniel Silva on Unsplash


References

[1] CNN. (2026, May 14). Trump is cutting the numbers of US troops in Europe. Here's how. https://www.cnn.com/2026/05/14/politics/us-military-troop-numbers-europe-trump

[2] Stars and Stripes. (2026, May 15). 'Relatively recent' decision to cancel Poland deployment draws criticism from lawmakers. https://www.stripes.com/branches/army/2026-05-15/lawmakers-criticize-canceled-poland-deployment-21681836.html

[3] NBC News. (2026, May 15). U.S. scraps deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland. https://www.nbcnews.com/world/europe/us-scraps-deployment-4000-troops-poland-rcna345283

[4] Associated Press via Journal Gazette. (2026, May 15). Pentagon halts deployments to Poland and Germany to cut troop numbers in Europe, AP sources say. https://www.journalgazette.net/news/national/pentagon-halts-deployments-to-poland-and-germany-to-cut-troop-numbers-in-europe-ap-sources/article_6b3fce91-c563-5ecf-9d01-41286e17ade9.html

[5] Military Times. (2026, May 15). Army leaders in hot seat over Poland deployment cancellation. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2026/05/15/army-leaders-in-hot-seat-over-poland-deployment-cancellation/

[6] Task & Purpose. (2026, May 13). Pentagon cancels Army unit's deployment to Europe with soldiers already in Poland. https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-cancels-deployment-soldiers-europe/

[7] Defense News. (2026, May 13). US Army abruptly cancels deployment of 4,000 soldiers to Poland. https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-army/2026/05/13/us-army-abruptly-cancels-deployment-of-4000-soldiers-to-poland/

[8] Stars and Stripes. (2026, May 14). Polish officials downplay canceled US Army brigade deployment. https://www.stripes.com/branches/army/2026-05-14/army-brigade-poland-troop-reduction-21668054.html

[9] German Marshall Fund of the United States. (2025, December). The 2026 National Defense Authorization Act: What Europeans Need to Know. https://www.gmfus.org/news/2026-national-defense-authorization-act-what-europeans-need-know

[10] Atlantic Council. (2025, December 18). Your expert guide to the 2026 National Defense Authorization Act. https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/dispatches/your-expert-guide-to-the-2026-national-defense-authorization-act/

[11] Yahoo News / Politico. (2026, May 15). Pentagon officials stunned by Hegseth decision on troops in Poland. https://www.yahoo.com/news/articles/hegseth-again-stuns-pentagon-poland-210535105.html

Latest Articles

Back To Top
Search