Washington · May 18, 2026
Poland dispatched two deputy defense ministers to Washington this week to demand an explanation after the Pentagon canceled a planned rotational deployment of 4,000 U.S. troops to the country. The Pentagon canceled the deployment without public announcement, a decision that two U.S. officials confirmed to reporters. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered the cancellation of the planned routine rotational deployment. A Pentagon spokesperson declined to comment, and a lawmaker noted that Congress had not been formally notified of the decision. No public announcement has been made.
The cancellation landed with particular weight in Warsaw because of how far advanced the deployment was. A "casing the colors" ceremony for the 1st Cavalry Division was held May 1 at Fort Hood, Texas, and military equipment was already in transit when the deployment was aborted. Deputy Defense Minister Pawel Zalewski told Polish radio station TOK FM that the cancellation caught Warsaw entirely off guard, saying no one in Poland knew the brigade rotation would be suspended, according to POLITICO [POLITICO]. The decision came just two weeks after the Pentagon announced it was withdrawing 5,000 troops from NATO ally Germany, in part due to a widening rift over the Iran war between President Trump and European leaders. When the Germany withdrawal was announced, a senior U.S. official said the move would bring troop levels in Europe back to roughly pre-2022 levels, before Russia's invasion of Ukraine prompted a buildup under President Biden.
Deputy ministers Zalewski and Cezary Tomczyk are traveling to Washington to seek details on the rationale, according to POLITICO [POLITICO]. Separately, NATO sources told Euronews that the Polish government was informed of the decision only on a Wednesday evening, and Polish Deputy Prime Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz, who also serves as defense minister, moved to frame the cancellation as connected to the previously announced reduction of U.S. forces in Germany. Kosiniak-Kamysz and Gen. Wieslaw Kukula, Poland's top military commander, are also scheduled to meet with Joint Chiefs Chair Gen. Dan Caine and Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Europe, this week, per POLITICO [POLITICO]. Prime Minister Donald Tusk, speaking at a ceremony to open a Polish repair center for U.S.-made M1 Abrams tanks, said he had received assurances that the decision was logistical and would not directly affect Poland's deterrence capabilities or security, per POLITICO [POLITICO]. Republican Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska said Polish officials he spoke with described being blindsided by the decision, which he called "reprehensible."
The Pentagon's public posture conflicts with those accounts. Pentagon spokesperson Joel Valdez said the decision followed "a comprehensive, multilayered process" and stated, "This was not an unexpected, last-minute decision, and it would be false to report it as such." Army acting Chief of Staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve confirmed the cancellation during testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, saying only that "it made the most sense for that brigade to not do its deployment in theater." Anonymous defense insiders, however, reported being blindsided by the move.
The legal terrain constraining the administration is defined principally by the National Defense Authorization Act. Lawmakers from both parties backed a provision in the NDAA barring U.S. troop levels in Europe from falling below 76,000, which Trump signed into law in December. The administration retains some leeway: the NDAA provision allows the president to cut levels below 76,000 if he certifies that he has consulted with NATO allies and provides independent assessments of the impact on U.S. security, alliance cohesion, and deterrence of Russian aggression. Approximately 7,400 troops remain stationed in Poland, and the U.S. Army's V Corps forward headquarters is based in Poznan. Because the canceled unit was a rotational rather than a permanently assigned force, the NDAA floor is not necessarily breached on its face. A senior NATO military official noted that rotational forces "do not factor into NATO's deterrence and defense plans," providing the administration an argument that the cancellation falls outside the statute's core prohibition. House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mike Rogers warned, however, that the committee would act if troop levels drop below 76,000.
The episode fits into a broader pattern of U.S. force reductions in Europe that predates the Poland decision. The administration has been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and has long signaled plans to scale it back, following Trump's demands that NATO allies bear greater responsibility for European defense. Reuters reported last month on an internal Pentagon email outlining options to penalize NATO allies that Washington believes failed to support U.S. operations in the Iran war, including suspending Spain from NATO and revisiting the U.S. position on the British claim to the Falkland Islands. Poland has not been among the allies in Washington's crosshairs on that front. Poland hosts around 10,000 U.S. soldiers in total, making it the second-largest American troop presence in Europe. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, told reporters the Poland decision appeared to be a surprise, saying, "As far as I know, we weren't notified about it." The lack of congressional notification, combined with the absence of any formal Pentagon announcement, raises questions about compliance with the NDAA's consultation requirements should the administration seek to invoke the presidential certification waiver going forward.
Featured image: Photo by Fedor on Unsplash
References
[1] NBC News. (2026, May 15). U.S. scraps deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland. https://www.nbcnews.com/world/europe/us-scraps-deployment-4000-troops-poland-rcna345283
[2] Euronews. (2026, May 14). US cancels planned troop deployment to Poland, Euronews confirms. https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2026/05/14/us-cancels-planned-troop-deployment-to-poland-euronews-confirms
[3] Kyiv Post. (2026, May 15). Poland reacts to stalled rotation of 4,000 US troops amid Pentagon contradictions. https://www.kyivpost.com/post/76255
[4] The Spokesman-Review / Reuters. (2026, May 16). Pentagon scraps deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2026/may/14/pentagon-scraps-deployment-of-4000-troops-to-polan/
[5] National Interest. (2026, May 15). Why did the Pentagon just nix a troop deployment to Poland? https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-did-pentagon-just-nix-troop-deployment-to-poland-ps-051526
[6] German Marshall Fund of the United States. (2026, May). The 2026 National Defense Authorization Act: What Europeans need to know. https://www.gmfus.org/news/2026-national-defense-authorization-act-what-europeans-need-know [POLITICO] POLITICO. (2026, May 18). NatSec Daily. https://www.politico.com