Washington · May 16, 2026
U.S. Central Command chief Adm. Brad Cooper testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee on May 14 that Iran retains residual military capability even as the Trump administration has publicly characterized Operation Epic Fury as a comprehensive success. Cooper, the commander of Central Command, made his first appearance before Congress since the U.S. and Israel attacked Iran on Feb. 28, telling senators that every military objective had been met while acknowledging Iran retains some capability to strike U.S. forces and regional partners. The hearing was formally convened to examine the Pentagon’s posture request in support of the FY2027 defense authorization, the subject of which was President Trump’s fiscal 2027 budget request for the Defense Department.
Cooper’s testimony established a factual gap between administration rhetoric and his own operational assessment. Cooper conceded that Iran still maintains “a very moderate if not small capability to continue strikes” in the region, and that Iran’s paramilitary Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps remains a major force in running the country. Pressed on the Strait of Hormuz, he acknowledged that Iran’s rhetorical posture alone has been enough to suppress commercial traffic. “The Iranian ability to stop commerce has been dramatically degraded through the straits, but their voice is very loud, and those threats are clearly heard by the merchant industry and the insurance industry,” Cooper told the committee. He noted that Iran previously deployed 20 to 40 fast boats during straits crossings; recently, only two or three have appeared. Cooper also stated that the U.S. military has the capacity to reopen the strait by force, but said that was a decision for policymakers, noting the waterway is at the center of ongoing negotiations aimed at a long-term peace deal.
On the core question of operational results, Cooper’s written testimony claimed a high destruction rate. Cooper stated in his written submission that in 38 days of major combat operations, U.S. forces conducted more than 13,500 strikes, destroying more than 85% of Iran’s ballistic missile, drone, and naval defense industrial base, more than 90% of Iran’s naval mines, and 82% of Iran’s air defense missile systems, along with the radar and command architecture supporting Iran’s fixed-wing airfields. He told senators it would take Iran “a generation” to rebuild its navy and years for its drone and missile production to recover. However, Cooper declined to address intelligence assessments pointing to a less complete picture. A New York Times report published Tuesday indicated that U.S. intelligence agencies assessed Iran retained approximately 70% of its pre-war missile stockpile and a comparable share of its mobile launchers; Cooper declined to address specific assessments, contending that numbers he had seen in “open source are not accurate.”
The hearing surfaced a recurring legal fault line over the war’s authorization. Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia noted that the Senate Armed Services Committee has not been permitted to review the Office of Legal Counsel opinion that the Justice Department produced to justify the president’s authority to launch strikes against Iran. “We’re being asked to fund a $1.5 trillion budget, but our request of the DOJ to see the OLC opinion justifying this war, they have refused to allow members of the Armed Services Committee to see it,” Kaine said. The U.S. and Israel launched the war on Feb. 28 without congressional authorization, and House and Senate Democrats have failed to pass multiple war powers resolutions that would have required President Trump to halt the conflict pending further congressional action. The administration has separately told Congress that “hostilities” with Iran have “terminated.” That characterization carries legal weight: under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, a presidential determination that hostilities have ended removes the 60-day clock that would otherwise require congressional authorization or troop withdrawal.
The hearing also foregrounded the war’s mounting financial and readiness costs. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth testified last month before both the House and Senate Armed Services Committees that the conflict had cost $25 billion, while acting Pentagon comptroller Jules Hurst stated this week that the price has risen to $29 billion. On personnel and equipment strain, the source story reports that Adm. Daryl Caudle, Chief of Naval Operations, told senators the existing Pentagon budget did not account for the war with Iran and could force tradeoffs in training and recruitment, a claim attributed to POLITICO that this publication was unable to independently corroborate before deadline [POLITICO]. Lawmakers from both parties acknowledged that dwindling stockpiles of air defense and long-range strike missiles are a shared concern, as U.S. forces have burned through thousands of missiles since Operation Epic Fury commenced, placing additional strain on aging warships and aircraft.
Cooper noted that a ceasefire reached on April 7 remains in effect, despite the ongoing U.S. Navy blockade of Iranian ports and exchanges of fire in the preceding week. The Washington Post reported last week that the CIA assessed Iran can withstand the current naval blockade for at least three to four months before severe economic hardship takes hold. Cooper told the committee that Iran is no longer able to transfer arms and resources to Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthis in Yemen, or Hamas in Gaza, saying those “transfer paths and methods have been cut off.” The procedural and strategic picture that emerges from May 14’s hearing is one of contested facts, withheld legal rationale, and an administration facing escalating pressure from both chambers to define the war’s end state and its cost to U.S. readiness.
—
References
[1] CBS News. (2026, May 14). CENTCOM chief tells senators Iran’s hold on Strait of Hormuz has weakened, but threats remain. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brad-cooper-centcom-senate-testimony-iran/
[2] Times of Israel. (2026, May 15). CENTCOM head: War massively reduced Iran’s capabilities, but it’s still able to strike. https://www.timesofisrael.com/centcom-head-war-massively-reduced-irans-capabilities-but-its-still-able-to-strike/
[3] Military Times. (2026, May 14). Iran military threat is diminished but not eliminated, CENTCOM chief says. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2026/05/14/iran-military-threat-is-diminished-but-not-eliminated-centcom-chief-says/
[4] Air Force Times. (2026, May 14). Iran military threat is diminished but not eliminated, CENTCOM chief says. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2026/05/14/iran-military-threat-is-diminished-but-not-eliminated-centcom-chief-says/
[5] Stars and Stripes. (2026, May 14). Iran significantly degraded but retains some capabilities, CENTCOM commander says. https://www.stripes.com/theaters/middle_east/2026-05-14/centcom-commander-iran-significantly-degraded-21672774.html
[6] The Hill. (2026, May 14). Watch live: CENTCOM head Adm. Brad Cooper testifies before Senate on military posture. https://thehill.com/video-clips/5877671-watch-live-us-central-command-leader-senate-panel-iran-military-posture/
[7] PBS NewsHour. (2026, May 7). Hegseth, Caine testify for the 1st time since start of Iran war in House hearing. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-hegseth-caine-testify-for-the-1st-time-since-start-of-iran-war-in-house-hearing
[8] CBS News. (2026, May 13). Lawmakers press Hegseth on details on Iran war authorization, ceasefire and Pentagon funding. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hegseth-caine-pentagon-budget-request-congress-committees/
[9] Washington Post. (2026, April 29). Lawmakers question Hegseth’s Pentagon firings, leadership of Iran war. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2026/04/29/hegseth-house-hearing-iran-live-updates/
[10] Washington Examiner. (2026, May 14). Iran’s capabilities ‘significantly degraded’ but still a threat to Strait of Hormuz. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/4569135/iran-capabilities-degraded-still-threat-strait-of-hormuz/