Washington · May 16, 2026
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered the withdrawal of approximately 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany on May 2, with Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell stating the decision follows “a thorough review of the Department’s force posture in Europe” and that the withdrawal would be completed over the next six to 12 months [1][2]. The order applies to a U.S. Army brigade combat team and additional forces already stationed in Germany, and a senior Pentagon official confirmed it would bring U.S. troop levels in the country back to roughly pre-2022 levels, reversing a Biden-era buildup that followed Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine [3][7]. As of December 2025, approximately 36,000 active-duty U.S. service members were stationed in Germany, accounting for nearly half of all U.S. forces in Europe [2][8].
The drawdown carries a direct statutory dimension. The National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2026 restricts the Pentagon from reducing U.S. troop levels in the European theater below 76,000 without the Defense Secretary first certifying to Congress that the reduction was made in coordination with NATO allies [7]. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement issued alongside House Armed Services Committee Chairman Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) that the decision “runs counter to the intent of the law that Congress passed overwhelmingly last year” [12]. The Wicker-Rogers statement, released May 2, constituted one of the more direct challenges to Trump administration defense policy from Republican committee chairs this term [20]. The chairmen called the withdrawal “premature,” warned it risks “sending the wrong signal to Vladimir Putin,” and formally demanded that the Pentagon engage with its oversight committees on the decision’s implications for deterrence and transatlantic security [15][19].
The immediate trigger for the drawdown was a public dispute with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who told students earlier in the week that the U.S. was being “humiliated” by Iranian leadership and that Washington lacked a coherent strategy in the war with Iran [7][16]. Trump responded by announcing a review of troop levels in Germany on Wednesday, April 30, and the Pentagon confirmed the withdrawal order by Friday, May 2, a sequence of less than 72 hours from diplomatic friction to force-posture change [14]. Trump signaled on May 3 that the Germany order may only be the beginning, telling reporters the U.S. would cut troop presence in Germany “a lot further than 5,000” [12][13]. Separate reporting subsequently confirmed the Pentagon also canceled a rotational deployment of approximately 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, to Poland, bringing U.S. military presence in Europe as a whole back to pre-2022 levels [5][9].
The withdrawal also implicates a separate Biden-era commitment. The Pentagon announced it would not deploy a Long-Range Fires battalion to Germany that had been planned under the prior administration, a battalion equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles and hypersonic weapons [2]. Germany’s defense ministry subsequently stated there had been no “definitive cancellation” of that deployment and suggested the weapons “may well still” be stationed in Germany, according to POLITICO [POLITICO]. The status of the Long-Range Fires battalion, and whether Hegseth’s order formally terminates or merely delays the Biden commitment, has not been confirmed by additional sources.
The statutory constraint adds a layer of legal exposure to the withdrawal order. The NDAA’s 76,000-troop floor applies to the European theater in aggregate; the combined effect of the Germany drawdown and the halted Poland deployment may require the Defense Secretary to provide a formal coordination certification to Congress before either order is fully executed [7][12]. Wicker and Rogers specifically invoked that threshold and called for “a deliberate review process and close coordination with Congress and our allies” before significant force posture changes proceed [15]. The two chairmen had previously raised similar procedural objections in fall 2025, when the Pentagon withdrew forces from Romania without what they characterized as adequate congressional notification [11][17].
The broader strategic context compounds the concern. European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas stated that the U.S. announcement had caught European leaders off-guard, according to POLITICO, which reported her remarks at the sidelines of the Yerevan summit [POLITICO]. NATO spokesperson Allison Hart said the alliance is working with Washington to understand the details of the drawdown, while adding that “this adjustment underscores the need for Europe to continue to invest more in defense” [4][12]. The drawdown, if executed in full, would place U.S. troop strength in Europe at its lowest point since before Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine, and it arrives as Germany has separately committed to raising defense spending to 3.5% of gross domestic product by 2029 [5][18].
—
References
[1] PBS NewsHour / Associated Press. (2026, May 2). U.S. to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany in next 6 to 12 months. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/u-s-to-withdraw-5000-troops-from-germany-in-next-6-to12-months
[2] CNN. (2026, May 3). The loss of 5,000 US troops in Germany is just the tip. https://www.cnn.com/2026/05/03/europe/germany-trump-troops-europe-intl
[3] NPR. (2026, May 2). Germany says U.S. troop withdrawal ‘anticipated’; Spain and Italy could be next. https://www.npr.org/2026/05/02/nx-s1-5808891/europe-allies-germany-troop-withdrawal-us
[4] NBC News. (2026, May 2). Europe rattled by ‘disastrous trend’ as Trump pulls 5,000 troops out of Germany. https://www.nbcnews.com/world/europe/europe-rattled-disastrous-trend-trump-pulls-5000-troops-germany-rcna343189
[5] Associated Press / The Columbian. (2026, May 15). Pentagon halts deployments to Poland and Germany to cut troop numbers in Europe, AP sources say. https://www.columbian.com/news/2026/may/15/pentagon-halts-deployments-to-poland-and-germany-to-cut-troop-numbers-in-europe-ap-sources-say/
[7] ABC News. (2026, May 2). US to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany, Pentagon announces. https://abcnews.com/International/us-withdraw-5000-troops-germany/story?id=132587562
[8] MSN / Reuters. (2026, May 2). Trump’s Germany drawdown questioned by allies in US and NATO. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pentagon-orders-withdrawal-of-about-5000-troops-from-germany/ar-AA22ctEc
[9] Associated Press / WOKV. (2026, May 15). Pentagon halts deployments to Poland and Germany to cut troop numbers in Europe, AP sources say. https://www.wokv.com/news/politics/pentagon-halts/JC2ZIVJ7PM2GRPGESFIZZO5FGE/
[11] The Hill. (2026, May 2). Sen. Roger Wicker, Rep. Mike Rogers voice concern over Trump’s troop withdrawal from Germany. https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5860717-house-senate-armed-services-germany/
[12] NBC News. (2026, May 2). Top Republicans warn Trump’s Germany troop withdrawals send wrong message to Putin. https://www.nbcnews.com/world/europe/top-republicans-warn-trump-germany-troop-withdrawals-putin-rcna182595
[13] Time. (2026, May 3). The U.S. military drawdown in Europe has only just begun. https://time.com/article/2026/05/03/us-withdrawal-germany-nato-spain/
[14] American Tribune. (2026, May 2). GOP Armed Services chairmen raise alarm over withdrawal of 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany. https://americantribune.com/gop-armed-services-chairmen-raise-alarm-over-withdrawal-of-5000-u-s-troops-from-germany/
[15] Mining Awareness+. (2026, May 5). Chairs of US Senate and House Armed Services Committees statement on US troop withdrawal from Germany. https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/2026/05/05/chairs-of-us-senate-and-house-armed-services-committees-statement-on-us-troop-withdrawal-from-germany/
[16] Reuters / People News Today. (2026, May 2). Top Republicans express concern over Trump plan to withdraw troops from Germany. https://www.peoplenewstoday.com/news/en/2026/05/02/1140164.html.Top-Republicans-express-concern-over-Trump-plan-to-withdraw-troops-from-Germany.html
[17] NewsNation. (2026, May 2). Sen. Roger Wicker, Rep. Mike Rogers voice concern over Trump’s troop withdrawal from Germany. https://www.newsnationnow.com/politics/armed-services-republicans-very-concerned-us-troops-withdrawal-germany/
[18] Colorado Springs Gazette. (2026, May 5). Prominent Republicans express concern over troop drawdown in Germany. https://gazette.com/2026/05/05/prominent-republicans-express-concern-over-troop-drawdown-in-germany/
[19] Newsweek. (2026, May 2). Republicans oppose troop cuts in Germany as Trump hints at larger number. https://www.newsweek.com/top-republicans-oppose-trump-on-troop-withdrawal-from-germany-11906498
[20] Washington Examiner. (2026, May 2). Armed Services GOP chairmen criticize withdrawal of 5,000 US troops from Germany. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/4552555/armed-services-gop-chairmen-withdraw-troops-germany/